4.16.2023

3.29.2023. Day 6. Katane Cafe + L'Effervescence. Shibuya + Minato City. Tokyo. Japan.

Day 6 was our last day in Tokyo before we made our journey to Kyoto. We decided to sit down at our beloved neighborhood Katane Cafe down the stairs from the bakery where we have been getting pastries. I love this charming bakery with its cafe downstairs so much!









Then we got in a cab and headed to our finale lunch at L'Effervescence. I had not done fine dining in Japan before that wasn't a sushi omakase or kaiseki, so I decided that it's time I try fine dining with French influence this time around, because I was sure that it would be extraordinary. I decided on another restaurant upon my research, but they were closed for my dates. Finally I remembered L'Effervescence while grabbing a coffee one morning, and lo and behold, they had a table for 3 for lunch on my last day in Tokyo so I booked it! I could not believe my dumb luck that morning upon randomly remembering L'Effervescence and also for the perfect availability, as we had more or less given up on the fine dining plan at this point. 

Many people know that I have come to loathe fine dining, with few exceptions. However, I was hopeful that Tokyo would bring the bar back and change my mind once more. Thankfully I was on the money on this. The space, the service, the ingredients, and the food were more than spot on. It was extremely comfortable and made you at ease to enjoy rather than to suffocate. The progression of flavors that built was subtle and complimentary to each last course using all sustainable and local seasonal ingredients. This was also the first time I have tried Japanese cheeses. I had the non-alcoholic drink pairing and that was the most inventive and well thought out non-alcoholic pairing I have had with my meal. There was even a refined version of World Peace created by my friends here at State Bird Provisions on the menu. What a grand finale to Tokyo this time around. Thank you so much for renewing my faith in fine dining done right L'Effervescence! THAT is what a 3 star restaurant SHOULD be like.

L'Effervescence
2 Chome-26-4 Nishiazabu
Minato City, Tokyo 106-0031
Japan
+81 3-5766-9500 

Welcome
Omotenashi cocktail, bouquet of vegetable crisps

Underwater Forest
Sasanishiki risotto with sea lettuce and hooki-clam, sea urchin, housemate caviar, shiso flowers

Genesis of Civilization 
Potato focaccia, sourdough

Ars longa, Vita brevis
Artisanal vegetables

Fixed Point
Tokyo turnip complexity and simplicity

Ocean
Grouper gently poached in whey, bamboo shoots and green asparagus, sakura flower beurre blanc sauce

Forest
Kyoto duck wood-fired over local mizunara oak from Hinohara Village in Tokyo, port sauce, beets, spinach
Duck thigh and butterbur shoot raviolis, duck consommé

Migration
Artisanal Japanese cheeses

New Chapter
Hassaku, sangho leaves, forage blanc mousse, milk chocolate
Lemon choux/Peanut financier/Apple mousse, nutmeg
Rosemary cream sando/Wase mandarin, Crystal/Chocolate, ginger/Matcha/World Peace






























No comments:

Post a Comment