4.16.2023

3.31.2023. Day 2. Sanneizaka + Kiyomizu-dera + Kyoto Bistro + Gion + Gion Kitagawa Hanbee + Gion Tatsumi Bridge + Maruyama Park + Geishas/maikos. Gion. Kyoto. Japan.

Day in Kyoto we woke up early to make our way up to Kiyomizu-dera before the crowds arrive. That is a great tip for anything touristy in general, which is all of Japan during this time. Leaving by 7:30AM will make for a much more pleasant experience before thousands of tourists arrive. We walked up empty Sanneizaka up the hill toward Kiyomizu-dera and were rewarded with empty streets for crowd free pictures. You will likely encounter a bit of engagement/wedding portraits at this hour. I always take their picture whenever I see them.







Kiyomizu-dera is an UNESCO Heritage site and one of the most beautiful temples I have ever been to. It rests on a hill with sweeping views and greenery on its grounds. It literally means Pure Water Temple. The animal of the God at this temple is also the rabbit (it is the year of the rabbit), so we bought tablets and prayed in each shrine on this joyous Indictment Day. Read my wish on our prayer tablet. Since we were there early, there was a short line for the Ottawa Waterfall, so we all lined up and drank from all 3 streams for extra auspiciousness. We sat down at the base at the end to have matcha cake and cherry blossom mochi on a bench surrounded by cherry blossoms for breakfast.

Kiyomizu-dera
1 Chome-294 Kiyomizu
Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto 605-0862
Japan
+81 75-551-1234













Then we walked back down the hill on Sanneizaka. I had to pop into Snoopy Chocolate first as I love Peanuts and had to get some for gifts. They have the most beautiful and adorable Peanuts chocolates and Snoopy bars in addition to merchandise that are exclusive to their stores. Also, since this was Indictment Day I had to take this picture.





We got coffees at here before we bought souvenirs along the now open and crowded shops.















I waited for the cat bus with my neighbor...



We decided to have a relaxing lunch at Kyoto Bistro. We had a table by the window so we can continue our people watching from inside. We all got beautiful salads.

Kyoto Bistro
Park Hyatt Kyoto
1階, 360 Masuyacho
Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto, 605-0826
Japan
+81 75-531-1234









Eventually we landed back in old Gion before our matcha high tea service for even more people watching and cherry blossom!













I made a reservation at Gion Kitagawa Hanbee as it was my favorite matcha high tea service last time I was in Kyoto. My friends were equally impressed that they wanted to return during this trip! This time I bought some hojicha to bring home as it's the finest I have had, now I just have to learn how to make it properly. My friend got the matcha cake set, another got the slice of cake, and I got the hojicha parfait. I had tea tasting pairing last time and that was also to die for.

Gion Kitagawa Hanbee
570-188 Gionmachi Minamigawa
Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto, 605-0074
Japan
+81 75-205-0880









Now for more walking toward Gion Tatsumi Bridge. Look at that light!















We headed back toward Yasaka Shrine at sunset to rest as we saw cats in the park.









Then we stumbled upon this festive tableau at Maruyama Park. It was so nice to see everyone out after 3 years of not gathering enjoying the cherry blossoms under the magic of lantern lights. It was extra special to witness the festivities and the joy that comes with it.













After we had yakiniku nearby for dinner, we were wandering in Gion before heading back home where we encountered geishas. I have never encountered geishas in the past, just maikos (apprentice geishas). I was completely in shock when I saw them. The difference in presence between geishas and maikos is enormous, and I still cannot believe my luck this time around. Pure ethereal beauty!






No comments:

Post a Comment