4.16.2023

3.29.2023-3.30.2023. Day 1. Kyo Apollo Shokudo Miyagawacho + Nishiki Market + Awomb + Tsujiri + Takocho. Gion. Kyoto. Japan.

After my friend that relocated to Tokyo joined us for our impeccable meal at L'Effervescence, we took the Shinkansen to Kyoto. I like to start at Gion and make my way toward Arashiyama toward the end of my trip to wind down in Kyoto. I was not hungry for dinner after L'Effervescence, but I did go with my friends down the street to Kyo Apollo Shokudo Miyagawacho. They got salads and the wagyu sandwiches. They said it was delicious.

Kyo Apollo Shokudo Miyagawacho
444 Nishigomoncho
Shinmiyagawatyou Matsubara Sagaru, Higashiyama-Ku
Kyoto 605-0816
+81 75-741-6311





We stayed in this traditional machiya (Japanese townhouse) in Gion for the first part of our trip. I loved this location as it's walking distance to all your must sees in Gion located on a quiet alley and extraordinarily picturesque. We also had a bathtub that overlooked our zen garden. Unlike a traditional home/hotel, you sleep on futons on the tatami mats. Which can be a bit uncomfortable if you are not used to it, and definitely not good for side sleepers. There are also no blinds to block out sunlight for when the sun rises, so you wake with natural light. It is minimal Japanese decor with high end appliances. We had to get creative with laundry drying on the stair railing and on the exposed side of the stairs due to lack of hangers and such. So if you need a soft bed with fluffy towels and all creature comforts, this is definitely not the place for you. However, there are plenty machiyas that have nice fluffy beds, so that is definitely something to look out for when booking yours. If you are looking for an authentic traditional Japanese machiya experience then I would highly recommend staying at a one.







When we woke up for our first full day in Kyoto, we walked toward downtown Gion to get breakfast.





We eventually landed at _______ for breakfast. It's an unexpected space where we got coffees with a rose cream topping in addition to our egg sandwiches with fresh wasabi, which I make at home from time to time. 







Then we headed over to Nishiki Market where we bought Japanese spices and my friends had a Sancho sprinkled Hokkaido milk soft serve.











I have been wanting to dine at Awomb since my first Japan trip back in 2016. Sadly I was not too motivated to line up for that meal as they did not take reservations then. Since they now take reservations, I made sure that this will be my first lunch in Kyoto. I was drawn to Awomb for their interpretation of temari sushi. Temari sushi are tiny bite sized sushis developed in Kyoto so that maikos and geishas can eat them without smearing their make up. At Awomb, they call it Kyoto teori-zushi as you weave the different ingredients into your own sushi yourself. The building itself is a Japanese minimalist zen marvel, with interiors to match. We we in the private room upstairs, which made this experience extra magical. Then the food came, and all 3 of us were stunned into silence by how gorgeous it was. It was a sushi experience that exceeded my expectations.

Awomb
189 Ubayanagicho
Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto, 604-8213
Japan
+815031343003



























Then we split off and my friend and I walked around Gion to enjoy the views as it's her first time in Kyoto. I took her to some of my favorite streets and to get parfaits at the local classic Tsujiri (they have multiple locations). Please also check out their stores as they are one of the top traditional uji tea houses in Kyoto. I got some of their sakura teas and matcha/hojicha chocolates infused with alcohol for myself and as gifts. We got the hojicha and sakura parfaits.













Then we all met up again at Yasaka Shrine to see a spectacular sunset.











Then we decided to get oden for dinner at Takocho on our walk back to our machiya. 

Takocho
1 Chome-237 Miyagawasuji
Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto, 605-0801
Japan
+81 75-525-0170 











No comments:

Post a Comment