12.13.2017

Quarry Bay. Hong Kong. 12.4.2017.

I grew up in Quarry Bay on the Hong Kong side. Let me show you my hood.

Photos of me below by Noe Chavez.

This is a typical condo building in Hong Kong that people live in. It's typical for a family to live together until the children get married. So it's common for a family of 4 to be in a 2 bedroom condo.


Random store fronts are all around Hong Kong. Clutter is sadly a norm.


We bought our groceries daily on the way home from school. Each food vendor is specialized so you go to many each day to get everything you need for your home cooked meals. Here is a typical butcher. There is also no such thing as wasting any part of an animal. You eat all the offal and you use all the bones to make soup with; that's where all the nutrition and flavors are.


Here is a typical fruit vendor in the alley near my house. I really miss all the tropical fruit from Hong Kong. You get a better variety overall and the flavors are much more intense than what I can get here in America, even as compared to non GMO organic produce. Food in general is more flavorful there.


Here is one of the alleys near my house for produce. There is even a fresh tofu vendor. I can see the side of those buildings from the condo where I grew up.


This is the view from my condo across the way. My building is slightly nicer and cleaner than these. As you can see, no one owns a dryer; you dry all your clothes outside. It is a tropical climate and space is very scarce in Hong Kong.


This is down the street from my home. This is the facade of the infamous Montane Mansion. I wonder how many people live in that estate... I walked by this daily on my way to school as it's around the corner from there.


This is the fish vendor we used to buy fish from at a store front at Montane Mansion. The fresh soy milk and tofu fa vendor is still there from my childhood!


And this is from the courtyard of Montane Mansion.


Then we walked to Taikoo so I can show Noe one of the many mega malls attached to each MTR stations. This one is so big it had a mini roller coaster in it along with an ice skating rink. The roller coaster is no longer there but the ice skating rink is.

No comments:

Post a Comment