10.21.2020

10.18.2020. SingleTread Farms. Kistler Vineyards. Forestville. California.

This meal was supposed to be for my birthday on 3.21.2020 before I left for Japan. Then the world went mad with a virus then the Northern California fires came, so it was postponed twice. My friend and I decided to go for the outdoor dining experience at Kistler Vineyards when that was an option. While I was disappointed that I did not get to experience SingleThread in its own space, I was so happy to have had this incredible experience when I needed it most.

SingleThread Farms

131 North Street

Healdsburg, CA 95448

707.723.4646

I walked by SingleThread in Healdsburg Friday evening on my stroll around town. You can still book a room in their inn and they are also doing rooftop drinks.





















I can only describe this meal as exquisite California kaiseki. Its ethos echoes that of the traditional Japanese kaiseki from Kyoto, where you use the most seasonal ingredients for each course and plate it accordingly with the serveware to match. The amuse-bouche was a very great indication of the meal to come and even for this extreme cynic I was actually impressed, a rarity. We opted for the wagyu addition and one of us got the wine pairing, since the other 2 had to drive back home after this 4.5 hour meal. If you are looking for an exceptional fine dining experience, then I would highly recommend it. Especially since they are extending this outdoor dining experience at Kistler until end of November. It's actually worked out better as dining at night in Sonoma County means you can see the stars. Since we went during a tiny crescent moon, the stars and planets were glowing brighter than usual. The price is definitely not for the faint of heart, but it was worth every penny. So perhaps you can make a weekend out of it like I did too. Perhaps even spend the night so you are able to have more wine. I look forward to my return in another season!

EARLY AUTUMN IN SONOMA

WILD KAGOSHIMA KANPACHI

Farm tomatoes, Cucumber, and Pickled Wasabi

BLACK COD IBUSHI-GIN

Matsutake, Purple barley Crepes, and Shio Koji Vinaigrette

FARM BABY GEM

Cured Wild Salmon, Smoked Roe, and Chive Bavarois

SUMMER SQUASH

Spot Prawn, Squash Blossom, and Prawn Head Broth

DUCLAIR DUCK

Calimyrna Fig, Turnip, and Kanpyo *with Wagyu addition

SONOMA GRAINS

Wagyu Shortrib, Pickled Ramps, Maitake, and Beef Consommé

TRENTON ROADHOUSE CHARDONNAY

Mushroom and Oak

ALBION STRAWBERRY

White Chocolate, Sake Kasu, and Shiso

WAGASHI

Melipona Honey "Yakgwa"

Japanese Cheesecake with Umeboshi

Suiteki with Apricot

Miso Custard with Spiced Nashi













No comments:

Post a Comment