9.28.2026

Stay Sweet + RT Bistro + Nudi Blue + True Laurel + Ernest x Chez Noir. San Francisco + Berkeley. California.

Something old. Something New. Something Blue... I was holding out to check out Nudi Blue 3 times to do a proper review before I post, but alas they have shifted to a regular cafe menu instead. Fortunately for me, I was able to enjoy their high tea twice before this shift. Maybe they will bring it back for special occasions. More on this below.

My friend Mark at Stay Sweet SF had new bars at his pop up, so I got them. His matcha "Oreo" became my new favorite, but unfortunately for me, it's not permanent in the line up. At least I got a few in while it lasted. I also tried his passion orange guava, yuzu marshmallow pie, Vietnamese coffee s'more, and blackberry jasmine . He will be shipping to more locations now that the weather will be cooling off for fall. Makes great gifts.



Gay husband #1 Derrick Carter was headlining for the Om Records 30 year anniversary party in town and we were able to squeeze in dinner before the gig, a rarity. Everyone was really interested in where we ended up eating, including us. There were many DJs involved. Suffice to say it was worse than wrangling cats. 3 of us eventually ended up at RT Bistro and we got some things. We loved the beef dumpling, baked rigatoni and the RT Bistro burger, its signature dish. We were also being our most ridiculous selves and had a grand ol' time before we took that ridiculousness to the gig.

Marinated Olives
Preserved Meyer Lemon, Celery

Aged Beef Dumpling
French onion vinaigrette

Beef Tartare au Poivre
pluot, nasturtium, cornichon, wild fennel levain

Cali “Croque”
sourdough, garlic butter, heirloom tomato, California cheddar, confit lemon

RT Bistro Salad
pickled purple haze carrots, sherry vinaigrette, herbs

Spring Pea "Caesar"
sugar snap pea shoots, fennel levain chips, aged parmesan

Baked Rigatoni
roasted sungold tomato, Grana Padano, basil

Braised Pork Cheek
yellow peach sofrito, pomme purée

Dry Aged Duck
plum sweet ‘n’ sour, honey, koshihikari rice

RT Bistro Burger
dill pickled onion, California cheddar, bistro sauce, triple cooked fries

















Sadly Nudi Blue no longer offers its high tea service, which was my favorite by a LONG shot in the Bay Area. I was really looking forward to my third time there with a few girl friends and sadly I got the text one morning saying that they are closing to refigure out a new format. That new format is a regular cafe. Maybe it will come back for special occasions in the future because it was extremely special. And looks like I was not the only one thinking this. I mean, look at this.















After doing storage on a weekend with my friend, we decided to have brunch at True Laurel. I had dinner there before which is my favorite meal of the day there, brunch was also exceptional. As a non drinker, the True Brew was so good that I ended up getting my own. And on a sunny day like ours, it's great to to sit outdoors. Friendly reminder that although seemingly casual, this is one of the top 50 bars in the world with exceptional food to match.

TRUE BREW
Grand Cold Brew, Caffè Amaro, PX Sherry, Cold Crème

BLUEBERRY FLAPJACK
Blueberry Maple Compote, Cream

SALAD
Amazing, trust me

MAITAKE PATTY MELT
Caramelized Onion Special Sauce, Pickles, on Pain de Mie









My girl Whittany moved back from NY and we had to celebrate. Naturally I took her to Ernest and they were having an Ernest X Chez Noir dinner. What a special treat, even the chefs I know were texting me that they would kill to be there that night. It's a collaboration dinner between Chefs Brandon Rice and Jonny Black. Glad we went! Are we returning soon so Whittany can have the kakigori? Also yes!

FIRST COURSE

Monterey Bay Abalone Skewers
Liver Butter

Crispy Panisse
Boquerones

Osetra Caviar
Banana Bread

Hog Island Oyster
Michelada

SECOND COURSE

Bluefin Niçoise
Carola Potato, Goldem Nugget, Tomato, Pole Beans

Beef Tartare
Sushi Rice, Ikura, Nori

THIRD COURSE

Corn Triangoli
'Nduja, Garlic Scapes, Scallion

Parker House Rolls
Cultured Butter

Melon
Swordfish Prosciutto, Ricotta

FOURTH COURSE

Stuff Quail
Dirty Rice, Porcini, Padrones, Jamón

BBQ Morel Mushrooms

Duck Tsukune, Taré, Egg Yolk

DESSERT

Chez Noir Petit Fours

Ernest Hazelnut Soft Serve Sundae



















No comments:

Post a Comment